Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Floors (the pretty part!)

This past weekend, I finally started doing something productive with the house! I ripped up all the gross stinky carpet and underlayment, with some help from Stan. We rolled up all the remnants and put them in the "bonus room" in the garage (really just a plywood room that will be torn down shortly) for the time being until I'm ready to order a dropbox. 
It begins!
This is the very first time I've done anything remotely like this, so it was scary but very exciting at the same time! It was really easy tearing up the carpet and underlayment, but the hard part was just around the corner.

Living room, with the gross kitchen just beyond
See all those little chunks of stuff? Each one was a staple that I had to pull out with pliers. AND those tack strips around the perimeter were no picnic either. I went and bought a pry bar and a rubber mallet to pull up the tack strips. It went like this: pry bar, mallet mallet mallet, snap up small remnant of tack strip, remove nail with claw hammer, repeat. That went on for about 2.5 hours and I only got 3/4 of the living room done (including removing the staples). Man, my hands hurt after all that! Does that mean I'm getting old? The worst part was using the pliers on the staples.

Living room before

Living room after
So here's my progress so far! I also removed the curved brass edging from right next to the front door. I have tomorrow off, so I'm first going to go shopping for appliances and hopefully get some good Independence Day deals, then back to the floors!

-Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment