Monday, July 16, 2012

Very Productive Weekend!

Okay, first thing's first: I got my lawnmower and mowed the lawn for the first time ever! My grandma offered to buy the lawnmower for me as a housewarming gift - awesome! I ended up going with a Greenworks corded electric lawnmower, and it took a little getting used to...I'm not sure if it was better to go the long way or the short way, and it was a little difficult to maneuver but I got it done! I also did what I could of the backyard, but there were a lot of obstacles so it still doesn't look that great!

Ain't she a beauty!
First mowed lawn!

The other big HUGE thing I tackled this weekend was sanding the floors! I rented an orbital floor sander from a local company and man, was it heavy! I think 115 lbs or so. The rental place put it in my trunk but it was an ordeal to get it out once I got to my house :P I had originally rented it through this morning, but it turned out I only needed it for about 5 hours, which saved some money! The sandpaper was actually more costly than the rental itself at ~$6 a sheet!

I used the big floor sander to sand the middle of the floor to about 3 inches from the baseboards and used 3 different, progressively finer grits to get it down to smooth. Then yesterday I used my new (refurbished) palm sander to do the edging right up to the baseboards, as well as go over any stubborn spots like right inside the front door, which wasn't covered with carpet, but was covered with disgusting grime! Trying to get the sander back into my car to go return it was the same comedy of errors as getting it out, but I did it and it's DONE! I also got a shopvac and tack cloths to pick up all the sanding dust which I will be doing shortly. This week, probably Wednesday, I will be putting on the first coat of polyurethane, then hopefully the second coat before the weekend so it has time to cure by Saturday and I'll be able to start moving things in!

Sander and "before" picture of the floors

It was so vibrate-y!

Palm sander for the edging and "after" picture of the sanded floors

Oh yeah, and the last BIG SUPER HUGE thing from this weekend...my friends Courtney and Travis from the gym came over to help knock out that wall between the kitchen and living room! Travis used to be a contractor and has done stuff like this a million times before, plus he has all the tools :) We unfortunately ran into electrical wires so the studs are still there, but I'm having an electrician come in this week to re-route them, and then Travis will come back over to knock out the studs and do finish work on the open parts.

Travis pulling off sheetrock

View from the living room

View from the kitchen (with annoying wires that need to be moved!)

It looks so open now! I can't wait until the studs are gone! Well, the plan for this week is to get the electrician in there, put the finish on the floors, and maybe start tackling the bathroom (did I mention I ordered a new toilet and vanity?) and hopefully be done enough with that other stuff so that this weekend Travis can come back in and knock out the studs, as well as move in all of my furniture!

Oh! I forgot to mention, another friend of mine from the gym, Todd, came over to look at the wiring since he has some experience but deemed it was a bit much for him, BUT he was able to switch out that dryer outlet so now I have a working dryer! Thanks Todd!

Until next time...

-Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment