Thursday, July 19, 2012

Bathtub

Not surprisingly, like most everything else in the house, the bathtub was incredibly disgusting when I started with it:

I just threw up

Yesterday, I took the day off because an electrician was coming in to re-route those wires in the wall I was knocking down. He also replaced all of the outlets in the entire house with 3-prong outlets, added at least one GFCI outlet in each room, and replaced all of the light switches so they're not all grody :) I took the opportunity to work on the bathtub since I had to wait for the electrician to be finished so I could start polyurethaning the floors! After hours of scrubbing with bleach, using a utility knife to scrape the old caulk out, scrubbing some more with bleach, and finally re-caulking, the tub looks a million times better! By the way, this was my first time using caulk and boy is it stinky and sticky! I was still pulling it off my hands hours later, but the result was totally worth it!

Like new!

Once the electrician left, I went and got the polyurethane and a stain pad that screws onto a telescoping pole. I also got a watering can...I had watched a tutorial online that suggested pouring some poly into the can, and using that to put a little on the floor at a time in a controlled manner, as opposed to dumping it out of the can it came in I guess! It worked super well, and I recommend it to anyone taking on a project like this! I got Minwax water-based poly in a clear semi-gloss finish, because it seemed the best choice based on online reviews and the result I wanted with my floor. I put on one coat, went and killed a couple of hours browsing at Lowe's (my new favorite store), and put on the second coat last night. I plan on putting the third and final coat on tonight so I'm able to start moving stuff in this weekend!

Sneak peek of the poly'd flooring:

Still wet!

I'm not sure if the finish will translate well in pictures, but it looks really cool in person...almost like an old barn floor. The differences in the wood grain and the variation in colors between each plank are really highlighted and it definitely has a rustic feel. I love it so far!!

This weekend Travis is coming back to knock out the studs in that wall so it will be super open which I'm very excited about! I think I'll also prime all of the walls and ceilings, well, at least I hope I'll get all of them done! I'll start moving in non-essential things from my apartment as well, just to cut the load down for the ultra-big moving weekend on the 28th/29th!

-Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment