Monday, August 6, 2012

Officially Moved In!

Tuesday was my first night in the house! It was so quiet...I'm so used to all these noises, like the neighbors above me dropping something or walking around in high heels, passersby yelling or laughing, or even the streetcar going by my old building. It was definitely an adjustment...I used the white noise app on my phone so I could listen to something as I was falling asleep! Kahlua is slowly adjusting but still spends most of her time in my room under the bed :)

My friend noticed a couple of weeks ago that the water heater was off, and I thought that was weird but I didn't really need hot water yet so I put it off. I asked the guys who were working on the floor leveling if they turned the gas off for any reason but they denied it. Well, I took Friday off so the gas company could come by and do a (free!) inspection and sure enough, they said someone turned off the gas from the meter, but it wasn't them. Anywho, they turned it back on for me, re-lit the pilot light on the water heater, showed me how the furnace worked, and just gave me a lot of information so it was a good thing to do. With the gas turned on, I was able to do laundry for the first time this weekend! I have only ever lived with laundry in-unit once in my life, for about 9 months, so this is a huge deal for me :) I'm never going to have to buy rolls of quarters at the bank again!! And where have I been showering without hot water you ask? Mainly at the gym after I've worked out, or sometimes at Stan's place. But even with the hot water now turned on I still haven't showered at the house for reasons that will soon become clear...

Saturday was a super busy day, so no work on the house was done, but yesterday my friend Matty came over to help rehaul the bathroom. "Oy" is all I can say. Before we even started anything, I opened the box to the vanity that I had ordered online and it was broken. A piece of wood where the door hinge connects was splintered off and therefore the door was working on one hinge. So I ended up returning that obviously! Well, I could do without a sink in the bathroom for a while because the kitchen sink still functions, so we proceeded to rip everything out anyways. First, the vanity was not attached to the wall, and the sink wasn't even attached to the vanity cabinet! Oy. Then the toilet, which was just disgusting and looked like it had never been cleaned. Oy. THEN the vinyl floor...we started ripping it up and unfortunately ran into rotting floor boards underneath :( See, the floor had been rotting it looked like for some time, but the seller just put more plywood on top of the rotting floor and ugly vinyl on top of that, then didn't even caulk between the vinyl and bathtub, which resulted in even more rot. Oy! Thankfully, Matty and my other friend Travis have offered to replace the floor so I won't fall through, although it might take another day or two. So I am bathroomless for the time being!

Matty removing the vanity

The scary looking rotting floor :-/

After returning the vanity, I ended up deciding on a pedestal sink. I know that will translate to less storage, but at least there's a medicine cabinet and I can put pretty baskets on the floor next to the sink or even shelves above the toilet for things. I didn't have any in-bathroom storage at the apartment either so it won't be a huge adjustment! Going with a pedestal sink also allowed me to go with the only vinyl tile flooring I liked that wasn't special order from Lowe's! It's kind of a dark rust color, and I was afraid it would be too close to the color of the vanity cabinet so I was kind of at a loss for what flooring to choose, but having the vanity arrive broken was kind of a blessing in disguise I guess! I get to go with the flooring that I originally wanted (that doesn't cost an arm and a leg) plus I'm saving a TON on the sink now, it's like 60% less!

I don't know how much energy I'll have to tackle anything else until the bathroom is useable again, but I do have quite a few boxes I could go through in the meantime!

-Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment