Monday, August 20, 2012

Bye-bye "bonus room"

When I saw this house listed online, it purported to have a "bonus room". Cool, I thought. When I went and actually viewed the house, I found out the "bonus room" was in fact a small room built into a corner of the garage with a mini closet and half a window. The previous seller was using it for storage but, as I mentioned in the last post, I found out from my neighbor that the original owners didn't have a car and therefore decided to build this extra little room in there. One creepy thing: there was a lock on the *outside* of the door...maybe they used it for kidnapping victims? Hahah :P

Well, I hadn't planned on tackling this for a while because it's really not that urgent, but this weekend my friend Todd asked if I wanted to tear it down since he wasn't busy and the weather wasn't too gross and hot. I said sure! He came over Saturday afternoon with his tools and preceeded to knock the sucker down! I will say, it was more sturdy than I thought by just looking at it...it actually had studs and the whole deal. I felt kind of bad because I wasn't really doing anything haha...I just tried to bend all the exposed nails on the discarded wood with a hammer so it would be easier to handle once I take it to the dump. Well, a couple of hours later, it was all gone! The garage looks so much more open and bright now. I can't wait to get all the debris out so I can start moving storage boxes in there and access the laundry without being squished between the washer/dryer and the "room"!

Before
During
After!

Yay! Well, even though this awesome thing got completed, I didn't even touch the bathroom floor :( Travis said he has a tool that will help me cut out the special notches in the tiles with ease, so I'll be borrowing that this week sometime :) I WILL get it done by the end of the week! I promise! :)

-Megan

3 comments:

  1. How are you getting rid of all this debris?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure I'll take it to the dump, unless you want it for some reason? I guess it could be good fire pit fuel if you wanted to break it down :) A lot of it has paint on it though.

      Delete
  2. I totally lul'd about the lock on the outside. It's like something out of an episode of SVU.

    -Chrasblanket

    ReplyDelete