Thursday, November 8, 2012

Grout!

Oy, am I exhausted! I finished grouting the kitchen floor tile last night, woohoo! I will say it was more work than I expected...it just looks so much easier on TV! :P My hand started to hurt because I had to really *push* the grout into the lines...I figured it would be smoother. Maybe it's because I used sanded grout? It was pre-mixed, so at least I didn't have to deal with that part of it! And also, rather than breaking out the kneepads, I crouched or bent over from standing to do most of it, so my legs are feeling it too. It wouldn't have been such a big deal but the kitchen is about 150 sq ft so it was a lot of ground to cover! After grouting, I used a grout sponge and some clean water to remove the excess, then removed the water with an old dry cotton shirt. I need to wait 24-48 hours and then I can remove the haze with some windex and paper towels, and then the floor will officially be finished! Well, not counting the little alcove that still needs some work :P


Pre-grouting...you can see the old vinyl between the new tiles

Post-grouting!


The whole enchilada!

I went with a grey grout because there was no way I was going to deal with cleaning white grout in a kitchen...haha! I think it turned out really great! I was afraid that the grout color would be too similar to the tile color, but it actually looks really nice (better in person!). Plus, I think with the grout in there, the tiles almost look like real stone! Anyways, I'm super glad that this is finished! I have the guys coming in to run a gas line for the range on Monday (it's a holiday, woo) and then I'm also taking Tuesday off so the inspector can come in, and then the guys will come back and actually hook up the range. So I could possibly be able to cook something on Tuesday night!! Maybe Stan will let me bring all my dirty dishes over to his place? :P Ugg, and can I just say that I'm sick of having sticky stuff on my hands! That grout stuff is *still* all over my hands today after scrubbing them last night, this morning, and again here at work...annoying!!

Annnnnyways, I also ordered my cabinets and countertop this past Tuesday night! I went with Ikea...kind of hard to beat for the price! I also set up the installation for the earliest date they had available...Nov 26th. I ultimately decided to go with their installation service because after doing research, it probably would have taken me a good 30 hours of assembly and installation, PLUS I don't really have all the tools to do that kind of work. I also didn't want to mess it up, so there's that too :P Oh and also this Tuesday I have an electrician coming to set up the electric for the dishwasher. I'm going to have to figure out how to plumb for the dishwasher too...initial internet searching makes me think it won't be *too* hard but I don't think I'll do it myself. Maybe one of my lovely friends has experience doing this and will help me? (looks at Justin)...I think what I'm most confused about is if the water needs to be plumbed behind the wall or just can be done through the cabinets? I really have no clue! Why is everything so confusing?!

Well I think that may be it for now! I'm going to try to do wall and ceiling prep on Sunday...fun times!

-Megan

2 comments:

  1. Ours is plumbed through the cabinet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! I'll take pictures of my plumbing and compare it to what yours looks like to see if it's the same (minus all the DW plumbing, that is)...you know...if you don't mind me snooping inside your cabinet on Saturday :P

      Delete